Translate

Monday, November 1, 2010

3RD GAME OF UNCHARTED SEAS

 

Greg & I played our best game of “Uncharted Seas” ever. Even though the Sanlando Marine (Shroud Mage) fleet lost in the end, it was a very enjoyable and tightly contested game….and what a climax. Games don’t end with a bigger bang than this one!

Both sides started out with about 800 points, and while mine was the same as last weeks, Greg exchanged many of his Cruisers for more Destroyers. This was a wise move that certainly made his fleet more effective. I wish I could have exchanged my Submarine for something, but am still awaiting my SM Battleship, 2 Cruisers, and an Orc Starter Fleet. More on him later. You can see the terrain of our 4’ x 4’ board here:

http://pfe100.blogspot.com/    There was a large seaspire with a surrounding beach on Greg’s side, and 2 smaller ones on my side, both about 12” in from the baselines. The set up had our heavier units in the centre and the Frigates on the flank. Greg wisely held back his BB, not wishing it to be captured a 3rd time. It would prove to be a decisive player at game end. So in we went. On my right my Frigates and Heavy Cruisers engaged his opposite number of Destroyers. In the centre the Flagships of both sides took a pounding while on my left Greg’s Cruisers & mine fought it out toe to toe. My submarine attack here proved to be just as useless as in the last game. A ram for little or no damage! It did more damage with its 5 cannon on the surface. The subs crew is getting transferred to a Cruiser in our next game for sure. J My Flagship was badly shot up & tried to take the Dwarf Flagship with it by ramming. In this it failed, sinking in the attempt, but so damaged it that soon both slid beneath the waves. So had many Dwarf Cruisers and many other ships as well. All was set for the climax of “The 3rd Battle of Ironbottom Bay”.

   Greg had skillfully provided a picket of a Frigate to prevent my Battleship from ramming his BB. These were about the only healthy ships on either side. I had a cunning plan. My Frigates would sink the protecting Frigate while my other Frigate squadron amused his last Destroyer squadron. This they did, and as soon as he moved a Cruiser, my ram would commence. It never happened! The Iron Dwarf Cruiser threw up a wall of fire that surprisingly was able to get a ‘critical hit’ on my BB. Greg threw a double 1….My Battleship exploded!!! Not only that, all 6 of my supporting Frigates were sunk when they were engulfed in the fireball! Now that’s a climax! With but 2 Cruisers (and that @!%^#@! Submarine) left, the Sanlando Marine withdrew to fight another day. Damn good game Greg. The options of shooting, boarding, or ramming allow for a wide variety of tactics found in no other naval game. The Iron Dwarfs won a hard fought battle and certainly deserved their victory. The more games we play, the more of the tactical nuances we discover. Greg’s “screening maneuver” with his Frigates & DD’s will certainly be remembered and duplicated.

 

MVMVMVM 001MVMVMVM 002MVMVMVM 003MVMVMVM 004MVMVMVM 005MVMVMVM 006MVMVMVM 007MVMVMVM 008MVMVMVM 009MVMVMVM 010MVMVMVM 011MVMVMVM 012MVMVMVM 013MVMVMVM 014MVMVMVM 015MVMVMVM 016MVMVMVM 017MVMVMVM 018MVMVMVM 019MVMVMVM 020MVMVMVM 021MVMVMVM 022MVMVMVM 023

Hope your dice roll high.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment